Sunday, July 5, 2009

It's all uphill from here.

Yesterday - the 4th of July - I participated in the Provo Freedom Festival 5K. My goal was to beat my time from the Firefighters 5K last month (35:10). It was a really fun race as most of it was along the parade route; there's nothing like TONS of people cheering for you as you run. It made the run seem a lot shorter and was a lot of fun - at least until the last mile of the race that was all uphill. It was hard to keep going but I pushed myself as hard as I could and ran the whole thing. The good news is I beat my time from last month:

The bad news is I completely blew my knee out. I'm in a lot of pain right now and my knee brace isn't helping at all. I'm afraid that my running days may be over as it's just too hard on my joints. I feel so old... I think I'll probably go in to my doctor and at least find out what's wrong with my knee and go from there.

In any case, it was a great run and I'm proud of myself for doing it!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Thats awesome that you would do that but sorry about the knee. I think our bodies go downhill way to quickly and sometimes I think there isn't much we can do to stop them. Hope it feels better soon.

Christine said...

Good job! Sounds like a blast!

Lindz said...

Congrats. I even saw you!!!! Sorry i was going to yell something but my voice caught me. You did awesome. I am sorry about your knee. I have bad knees as well. It sucks because it can really hurt. I am so sorry.

Nicole said...

Way to go--like usual, you are amazing! I'm sorry about your knee, that must be so frustrating. have you thought of taking on biking?