Wednesday, November 26, 2008
Another holiday season is here and so much has happened over the past year! I absolutely love Thanksgiving, and not necessarily for the food. I love it because it gives everyone the opportunity to really reflect on those things that they're most thankful for. It's hard to focus on those things when we're going about our daily lives - in my case cleaning, bills, chasing a toddler, and attempting to eat right and exercise and all that fun stuff. I was telling Sean this morning that I always get a bit choked up at Thanksgiving time because I really do try to focus more on the things in my life I'm grateful for.
Last year I made a list of things I was thankful for, and thought I'd do it again this year.
Things I'm thankful for in November 2008:
- Sean. I don't know what I would do or where I would be without this amazing man in my life. I've never known anyone that was so forgiving, loving, and compassionate, and I thank Heavenly Father daily that he's given me such a wonderful husband. Sean has been through hell this year (pardon my French), and through everything - surgery, chemo, and ridiculously intense sickness - he tried to maintain a good outlook and continued to care for Taylor and I as much as he could. Due to my horrid housekeeping skills, Sean comes home on a regular basis to mountains of laundry, piles of dirty dishes, and a wife who may or may not still be in her pajamas. He's never once complained though, and he insists that my only job is to keep myself and our son alive and happy. Sean is the best hubby and daddy ever!
- Taylor. What can I say that I haven't already said about my sweet little munchkin? Taylor is like my personal miniature comic relief every day. I've never laughed harder or more often than I have this year. It's so refreshing and inspiring to see this little person show me so many examples of pure love, honesty, and compassion. He is the sunshine of my life, and I thank Heavenly Father multiple times a day for sending me this sweet angel.
- Mom. I have never needed my mom more than when I became a mom myself. She has helped me so much over the last year - more than I could ever repay her for. My mom is the most selfless, giving person I know and is always the perfect example of true charity. She's such an amazing grandma to Taylor and he absolutely adores her. I love her so much and am so grateful for all she has done for me and my family.
- Dad. I don't think I've ever given my dad the credit he deserves for helping to mold and shape me into the woman I am today. He is an amazing man with amazing advice and I know that I can always go to him with any complicated problem and he can help me solve it. He is a very spiritual man and has done an amazing job as the Patriarch of our family. I know that I have received many blessings in my life because of the prayers he offers in my behalf. He is an amazing father and grandfather, and I'm so thankful to have him in my life.
- Kristi. I absolutely adore my baby sister. She is such a sweet girl and truly cares for those around her. Even though she's one of the busiest people I know, she always takes the time to come visit us and spend time with her nephew. I love her dearly and always feel better after talking to her.
- Aunt Holly and Uncle Buba. My aunt and uncle have truly seen the very best and worst sides of Sean and I. No matter what has happened and what's going on in our lives, however, I know that they care for us and are concerned about our welfare. My Aunt Holly is such an amazingly strong woman and is such a great example to me of how to be a mother and woman in the gospel. We love them both so much and are so grateful to live so close to them!
- Friends. I have some incredible girlfriends in my life that are so supportive and compassionate and are always willing to chat when I need someone to talk to. Just a few I'm thinking about right now - Christine, Annalee, Cara, Bobbi, Jodee, and Sarah. I love you all so much!
I could name another hundred things I'm thankful for this year, but I think this post is long enough. I hope that everyone remembers to take some time this Thanksgiving to think of the things you're grateful for. We have been given so much, and I'm so thankful to Heavenly Father for all the incredible blessings He's given me.
I love you all, and hope you have a very happy Thanksgiving!!!