Saturday, July 16, 2011

Physical Therapy.




As many of you know, my knees have been giving me trouble on and off for several years now. Because of my knee pain I've had to give up running altogether and switch to the elliptical machine. That worked for a while, but gradually even working on the elliptical machine absolutely killed. The pain gradually got worse and worse, and my knee would bother me after simple activities like walking up the stairs or pushing a cart around the grocery store.

Well I finally decided I'd had enough and went to see an orthopedic surgeon. He took some x-rays, did a few tests, and asked me about a million questions about when, where, and how badly the pain is in my knee. He diagnosed me with IT Band Syndrome (commonly referred to as "Runner's Knee") and prescribed six weeks of physical therapy. I wasn't particularly happy about this, but hey it's better than surgery, right?



I started therapy at Timpanogos Hospital this past Wednesday and it's going pretty well. I really like my therapist and although my knee is pretty sore after my therapy sessions, it does seem to be working. I feel like the muscles around my knee are getting stronger every day, and I'm really hoping that I come out of this stronger and better able to handle daily cardio workouts without pain.

3 comments:

Aunt Holly said...

I hope it really, really helps! Good to finally know what's going on, I bet!

Cathy Brooksby said...

That is where I had my therapy for my hip. Hope it works for you.

Nicole said...

I feel like there are so many things that we didn't get to talk about when we came to visit and one of them was you working out and getting in awesome shape--i am so impressed, but so bummed for you because of your knee! Physical therapy is awesome and i hope your knee can get back to normal soon!