Sunday, September 14, 2008

Boys will be boys

Boy |boi| (noun) : a young man who spends all his time playing with dirt, rocks, trucks, and gardening tools; has a keen interest in all modes of transportation (i.e. planes, trucks, motorcycles) and especially loves any kind of heavy machinery or anything that has a siren. Also loves making animal and car sounds, and gets overly excited when playing with anything that has a steering wheel.

If this was the dictionary definition of "boy," Taylor would definitely fit it. I think there are so many things about boys and girls that are just naturally inborn in them. Every time we go outside he runs right for his shovel and plops himself down on the nearest patch of dirt, looking up only to "ooh" and "ahh" at a UPS truck driving down the street or an airplane flying overhead. When we're hanging out indoors his toys of choice are always cars, trucks, and his big digger.

I love watching Taylor be Taylor. I know that must sound kind of funny, but it's true. When we found out we were having a boy I have to admit I was a little nervous. I didn't really know anything about boys and all I could think about was worms, mud, and broken bones. My perspective has totally changed over the last year though; Tay is so much fun! I love watching him exude his independence and enjoy all things boy. He's such a great kid and I'm so lucky to be his mommy!

No comments: