Monday, October 13, 2008

The magic of Dr. Seuss

Now that Taylor is completely weaned, I have to get a lot more creative when it comes to getting him to relax before naps and bedtime. Last week I started reading to him before naps to try and get him calm so he could sleep. It seemed like just a funny coincidence at the time, but the only book he'd settle down to read (and eventually fall asleep to!) was Dr. Seuss' Horton Hatches the Egg. After a few days, however, I realized that he really wouldn't let me read any other book but that one, and after only reading a few pages he was out like a light.

Last night we had a really difficult time getting him to relax for bed, and by 10pm we were absolutely desperate. Sean suggested I try the tried and true Horton sleep therapy, and it worked! I read the whole book without him dozing off, but as soon as the book was over he climbed up and rested his head on my shoulder. I asked him if he wanted to go to bed and he said yes! I took him in his room, rocked him for about half a minute, laid him down in bed, and he rolled over and zonked out!

I don't know what it is about this book, but I have a feeling I'll have the entire thing memorized pretty soon. Yes, it's a pain reading the same book over and over, but when it comes to getting Tay to sleep, I'll do anything!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Silly Tay!