Wednesday, November 3, 2010

30 Day Countdown


In exactly 30 days I will be going to the hospital for my scheduled c-section (that is, unless Ollie decides to make his appearance early). What this means for me is lots of excitement, endless checklists of things to get done, and a heaping helping of freaking out.

I know that this is the time when I should be relaxing and getting a few more good nights of sleep, but my brain just won't turn off. I'm always thinking of something else I need (or want) to get done before Oliver arrives and worrying about how I'll handle two kids.

There are times when I feel like I'll handle everything well and be Super Mom, and other times when I feel so inadequately prepared to take care of two kids since most of the time I feel like I can barely handle one. I'm sure these feelings will continue after the baby is born; everyone has good days and bad days. Beneath everything though, I'm just so excited to meet my little man and complete our family.

Some things I've loved about this pregnancy:
- Time has gone by faster than it did the first time, mostly because I've been so busy chasing around a three-year-old.
- I'm at a much healthier weight this time around, putting me at less risk for high blood pressure and pre-eclampsia, both of which I had when I was pregnant with Taylor. In fact, at this point of my pregnancy with Tay I was on bed rest, which I definitely couldn't handle right now.
- Knowing that this is my last pregnancy helps me appreciate it more.
- I've actually felt pretty cute in my maternity clothes for the most part.
- I know what to expect and what's normal so I spend less time worrying that something is wrong.
- My amazing, patient, loving husband giving me back massages every night and going out to get me ice cream/chicken nuggets/whatever other crazy thing I'm craving.
- Little Tay Bug constantly rubbing and kissing my belly and talking about his "baby brudder Owver." I can't wait to introduce my boys to each other.

Things I haven't loved so much:
- Indigestion. Ick.
- Intense hot flashes.
- Having to get my birthmark removed, six cavities filled, and a root canal during this pregnancy. Talk about adding insult to injury... or rather, adding injury to injury.
- Not being able to breathe. I feel like I spend all day huffing and puffing and straining to complete even the simplest task.
- Being huge. Even though everyone is incredibly understanding, it's embarrassing to struggle putting my shoes on or scrubbing my tub.
- Kankles. Need I say more?
- Bony little knees, feet, and elbows jabbing my ribs and kicking my hip bones. I think Ollie is getting just as impatient as I am.

Pregnancy certainly has it's ups and downs, and I'm definitely about ready to say farewell to this stage and move on to being a mommy of two.

4 comments:

Whit said...

you looked so cute at the party. I can't wait to meet the little guy. You will be a wonderful mother of two don't worry too much!

Lindz said...

I am so excited for you. I can't wait to meet him. 30 days left, wow time has gone by fast!

Barbara Wilkey said...

AHHH!! So exciting!!! And so amazing!!! The miracle of birth is a testiment of God!!! I'm so happy for you all and hopefully all goes well in a month's time. You will be an amazing mother of two!!!

Barbara Wilkey said...

AHH!!!! So exciting!!! I love that you're pregnant but said that I didn't get to see you so! The miracle of birth is a testimony of God for me!! It's so crazy that your body can handle all of that and that you have all the equiptment to take care of them after. Congratulations! We love you and hope that all goes well in a month's time!