Thursday, January 5, 2012

Karve: Week 1


This is my first week of Karve classes, and what a week it's been so far! As I mentioned in my New Year's post, Karve is a low-impact, one hour workout that combines ballet barre work, pilates, and yoga. Because it's so low-impact, I wasn't expecting it to be super difficult; boy was I wrong!

The very first class I was dripping with sweat by the end, completely worn out and feeling - frankly - out of shape. I knew I'd let myself go a bit since my knee finally gave up on me (or I finally gave up on my knee), but I didn't think I was in horrible shape either. Add the difficulty level to the fact that every woman in my class looked like they stepped off a supermodel runway, and I was feeling more than a little out of place. I'm one of those people who gets really intimidated by exercise classes anyway, so it took all my energy just to focus on myself and not think about the other people in the room.

That said, I absolutely, positively LOVE this class. It's challenging, creative, and every class is slightly different. It targets practically every muscle in my body and every set of exercises is then followed by intense and deep stretching, aiding soreness and allowing those muscles to become long and lean instead of bulky. I've only gone to three classes so far, and I'm already seeing a difference in my muscle definition, particularly on my thighs and stomach. Gotta love that!

I've committed to going 4-5 times in the month of January, and at that point I'll decide if I want to continue for the rest of the year. I definitely think I'll stick with this class though. It's pricey, but it offers the kind of intense, body sculpting workout I need without damaging my joints and killing my knees. And if I'm already seeing results on day three, I can't imagine what changes I'll see come swimsuit season!

I love that January is a time for reflection, change, and a chance to start over. Here's to a healthier, happier year!

No comments: