Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Longest day of my life.

1:35 a.m. - Oliver wakes up crying. Sean goes in to comfort him and he starts coughing really hard, can barely breathe, and throws up twice. Once we get him calmed down, I rock him in his room until I can get him back to sleep.

3:00 a.m. - I finally get him back to sleep in his bed.

3:05 a.m. - He wakes up again, screaming and coughing. Sean goes in and rocks him, can't get him to calm down.

3:40 a.m. - I call the night nurse at our pediatrician's office. She says if he's having trouble breathing to take him to InstaCare.

3:50 a.m. - Sean gets Ollie bundled up and takes him to InstaCare, only to find out that it's closed. Oliver falls asleep in the car, so Sean drives all over Utah County while he sleeps. I fall asleep on the sofa for a little while.

6:05 a.m. - Sean gets home with Oliver. I peel myself off the sofa and get Ollie some breakfast while Sean lays down for a while.

8:20 a.m. - Sean gets up and gets ready for work. Oliver is rapidly getting worse. I call his pediatrician and set up an appointment for 10:35 a.m.

9:00 a.m. - Sean leaves for work. Oliver is very upset, tired, and coughing like crazy.

9:15 a.m. - I pile both kids in the car and go for a long drive so Oliver can rest. Stop at McDonald's to get a Mocha Frappe so I can stay awake.

10:35 a.m. - Ollie's doctor's appointment. The doc says he has very severe croup. Suggests we give Oliver a steroid shot and says I have the option of taking him into the hospital for breathing treatments. Because Ollie is having such a hard time breathing I decide to go ahead and take him to the hospital.

11:00 a.m. - We start a breathing treatment with Ollie in the doctor's office because the hospital doesn't have a room for us yet. He screams almost the whole time.

11:30 a.m. - Nurse gives Oliver a steroid shot. Doctor says we can head over to the hospital.

11:50 a.m. - Checked into the Pediatric wing at Utah Valley Regional. Nurses take his vitals while he screams his guts out. We're told they'll have a room for us soon.

12:30 p.m. - Steroid shot is kicking in and Oliver is perking up a bit. Still waiting for a room.

1:00 p.m. - Ollie is getting restless. He drifts in and out of sleep, but wakes up coughing really hard and wheezing.

1:35 p.m. - They finally have a room for us. Oliver is insanely tired but likes wandering around the new room. Sean leaves to go back to work.

1:50 p.m. - Five nurses (yes, FIVE) come into our room in robes, masks, and gloves, scare the heck out of Oliver, and attach monitors all over his little body. When they leave I finally get him to relax and take a little nap while I rock him.

2:30 p.m. - Wakes up crying and coughing. I can't get him to calm down and I'm starting to get really frustrated about the fact that they haven't started breathing treatments yet.

2:45 p.m. - Get him back to sleep again.

3:15 p.m. - Wakes up and doesn't know where he is. Starts sobbing again. I try really hard to keep him happy, but he keeps pulling at the monitors on his body and pointing to the door.

4:00 p.m. - Still no breathing treatments. Oliver's breathing has improved a lot from the steroid shot. I know his croup is manageable and I just want to take him home. I finally work up the courage to talk to a nurse about getting discharged.

4:10 p.m. - The nurse comes in and says the resident doctor wants to talk with me before discharging Oliver.

4:50 p.m. - Resident doctor finally comes in, talks to me for a while and checks out Oliver. Ollie starts screaming hysterically again. He says he's sure Oliver is probably fine to go home and that he'll draw up discharge papers. He says we'll be out "very soon."

5:20 p.m. - Neither Ollie nor I can stand the monitors all over his body and I pull them off so he can walk around the room. He's happy about that for a while, but then goes over and starts banging on the door and screaming to be let out.

5:35 p.m. - The nurse finally comes in with discharge papers. I quickly sign whatever they push in front of me. He gives me a questionnaire to fill out to let them know what they can improve. I don't fill it out because they don't want to hear what I have to say.

5:45 p.m. - After six hours in the hospital for absolutely no reason, Ollie and I are finally on our way home.

6:05 p.m. - We're finally home. The house is clean (thanks to my mom) and there's lots of yummy Sonic for dinner (thanks to my hubby). I scarf down way too many onion rings and popcorn chicken then collapse on the sofa. Ollie eats almost an entire grilled cheese sandwich and fries and is still hungry.

6:30 p.m. - Ollie is really grouchy and tired. Sean tries to keep him entertained while I rest for a bit.

6:50 p.m. - We head upstairs to put Oliver in the tub. I set up a humidifier next to his crib.

7:15 p.m. - I get Ollie out of the tub, dried up, and into some footie pajamas. I slather his chest and nose with VapoRub and give him a dose of Infant's Tylenol. We read stories and he nurses before bed.

7:35 p.m. - Oliver is in bed asleep. I'm completely physically and mentally exhausted. I'd like to think that Ollie will just sleep the whole night, but I have a feeling he'll be up a lot tonight.

This was seriously the longest, most stressful day of my life. So glad it's over and that Oliver is at least feeling a little better. Now I'm off to take some cold medicine (oh, did I mention I'm sick too?) and zonk out. We'd all better get healthy soon or I'm going to lose it. I've had my fill of sickness for the entire year.


Cathy Brooksby said...

I am glad Ollie is feeling better, I will pray for you all. I hate hospitals, if you aren't in the process of dying, it takes for ever to get care.

Nicole said...

oh Anne i'm so sorry! Croup is NOT fun. Both my boys get it every year and Ky was in the hospital for it when he was 7 months old and we had a very similar experience at the hospital--why does time seem to DRAG like there's no tomorrow at hospitals?! I hope you guys are on the mend. You are in my thoughts and prayers. :)