Tuesday, September 25, 2007

"Wild at Heart"

I'm reading a book right now by John and Stasi Eldredge called "Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul." The Eldredges are a married Christian couple and John has also written a book for men that I just finished this morning - "Wild at Heart: Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul." Both books are really wonderful and I would recommend them to anyone.

There is an excerpt from "Wild at Heart" that I just love and thought I'd share:

"If you had permission to do what you really want to do, what would you do? Don't ask how, that will cut your desire off at the knees. How is never the right question; how is a faithless question. It means 'unless I can see my way clearly I won't believe it, won't venture forth.' When the angel told Zechariah that his ancient wife would bear him a son named John, Zechariah asked how and was struck dumb for it. How is God's department. He is asking you what. What is written in your heart? What makes you come alive? If you could do what you've always wanted to do, what would it be? You see, a man's calling is written on the frontier of his deep desires. To paraphrase Bailie, don't ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes you come alive, because what the world needs are men who have come alive."

This quote gave me goosebumps. Just something to think about...

No comments: