Monday, May 5, 2008

My first 5k

As most of you know, I was signed up to participate in the Rex Lee run earlier this year and couldn't go because I injured my foot and was told by my doctor to rest it. Unfortunately my "recovery" time turned into just plain old "lazy" time and I stopped training all together. Luckily I have an uncle who is an avid runner and invited me to run with him in a 5k that a co-worker of his put together to support the deaf community. I didn't have much time to train, but with his encouragement (okay, it was outright abuse) I was able to run almost the entire race and finished in just over 34 minutes, an average of about 11.5 minutes per mile, which is pretty good for me.

Amazingly that was the push I needed to get back into running, and I'm now running an entire 3.1 miles every day. I set a goal to run a complete 10k by the end of the summer, so I really need to start getting serious about training every day. It makes me feel much better and helps work off any tension or stress I have. I love it!

1 comment:

Amy Jo said...

I love doing 5K's!! I did one supporting Asthma that the American Lung Association put on last weekend, and I am doing the Race for the Cure this coming weekend! They are so fun! I am by no means a runner, but I try, and if I am not running it I am speed walking it! They are great!