Friday, January 16, 2009

Am I good? I'm good.

(Name that movie!)

I'm not one to toot my own horn on a regular basis, but I need to brag. As some of you know, bargain shopping is one of my favorite hobbies as of late, sometimes to the extreme (yes, I get 5 Sunday papers a week just for the coupons). So I thought I would share my most recent purchase here on the 'ole blog as some of my other savvy shopper friends have done.

Here's what I purchased tonight:


10 boxes of Life cereal
4 boxes of Quaker instant oatmeal
8 boxes of Quaker chewy granola bars
8 Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers
3 canisters of Scrubbing Bubbles
3 bottles of Fantastik cleaner
4 bottles of Windex glass cleaner
2 cartons of Egg Beaters

And here's the math:
Purchase price before all deals and coupons: $163.85
Manufacturer coupon savings: $43.65
Hot Buy/Preferred savings: $85.98
Total amount paid: $34.22
TOTAL SAVINGS: $129.63


On top of that I got a $5.00 coupon off my next purchase.

I literally left the store patting my own back. Some people might think it's a little silly, but I figure with the economy in the state that it's in, it's the least I can do to pitch in and make our money stretch a bit farther.

[End of horn tooting.]

3 comments:

Heather said...

Anne,

Ok, you are AMAZING!!!!!!!! You MUST teach me how you did that. So did you just get 5 Sunday papers and clip coupons, or is there another secret to it?

Anne N said...

The key is to match coupons with sales. The website I use is savvyshopperdeals.com. If you click on their shopping wizard, you can see the best deals from all major grocery stores and they match deals with the coupons you get in the Sunday paper. Each deal is also ranked according to how good it is (I usually only look at the '!!!' or 'WOW!' deals). I get 5 Sunday papers so that when something is a good deal I can stock up.

It's actually really addicting once you get started. If you want more information I can email you a handout I've used teaching classes on coupon shopping. I'll also be teaching another class in my ward next month and you're more than welcome to come. :)

CL said...

You are so savvy.