Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Mini Tigs

[Warning: Geeky, fangirl post ahead. You've been warned.]

Imagine for a moment one of your favorite bands/singers. I'm talking if you could pick your top ten favorites, they'd be second from the top. Who would it be? For me - hands down - it would be the Miniature Tigers. If you're not familiar with them, they're a small indie band based out of New York. And I absolutely, positively, LOVE their music. I've been listening to them for a few years now and everything they've come out with has been fantastic. But I digress.

Now picture for a moment meeting that favorite singer/band in person. Picture them being excited to see you, hugging you, hanging out with you, joking around with you, then seeing them perform live and sign your albums afterward. Got the picture in your head?

Well folks, that's what happened to me!

Sean and I went last weekend on a little getaway to Salt Lake where we were going to see the Mini Tigs in concert and then spend the night at a hotel. I was insanely nervous because they were performing at a small venue and because of that I was hoping to see them after the show and hoped they'd sign my copies of their albums.


Now to rewind a bit, I follow Charlie Brand (the lead singer of Miniature Tigers) on Twitter. He's also an artist, and a couple of months ago he'd mentioned that he was offering to paint portraits of people on his iPhone for a very small fee. I jumped at the chance and asked him to create a portrait of Sean and I. He obliged and has been working on it in between shows. I tell you this so that you know why it is that he recognized us when we walked up to the venue.

Okay, so we were walking up the sidewalk to the bar they were playing at and there were a bunch of people outside smoking. One of them turns around, opens his arms, and yells, "You're here!" then walks up and hugs both of us. Yep, it was Charlie. Charlie Brand. Charlie Brand the lead singer of Miniature Tigers. I about had a heart attack.

We stood outside talking to him for a bit about their tour and about the portrait he was working on for us. Then we went inside where we met the rest of the band and basically just stood back and watched them joke around with each other just feet away from us.

Yes, I'm a total nerd. But just hang in there with me, m'kay?

After listening to the several [awful] opening bands, the Mini Tigs took the stage. It was amazing to finally see them perform live and I was so excited that they played some of my very favorite songs.


Afterward Charlie came up and thanked us for coming, promising they'd return to Salt Lake some time in the spring after their next album comes out. Then he and the rest of the band members signed our copies of their albums. They are honestly some of the nicest people I've EVER met. 


As we left the bar I think I was floating about five feet off the ground. I swooned about it all night and was still swooning days later. It was such an amazing experience, and I can't wait to see them again in a few months.

Best.
Night.
Ever.

 
[If you're still reading this, thanks for hanging in there with me. Go have a snack or something. You deserve it.]

No comments: