Sunday, May 15, 2011
Amazing Rosemary Bread
I'm a sucker for homemade bread, but who isn't?? A few weeks ago I found a recipe on VegWeb for rosemary bread and I couldn't pass it up, especially because the reviews were comparing it to the bread at Macaroni Grill! Yum!
Well I definitely wasn't disappointed, and since making it I've planted rosemary in my garden specifically for this bread. As I'm trying to lose weight I probably shouldn't make this very often, but I have a feeling this bread will become a new staple at our house. So delicious!
Ingredients: (makes two loaves)
1 tablespoon yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons vegan margarine, divided
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups flour, divided
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped, divided
1. Place yeast, sugar and water in large bowl or food processor and allow mixture to become bubbly. Mix in 1 tablespoon margarine, salt, and 2 cups flour.
2. Add one tablespoon of the fresh chopped rosemary. Knead for about 10 minutes by hand or in food processor about 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. Add more flour if necessary.
3. Oil a bowl, put dough in it and cover with a towel. Let dough rise in a warm place for one hour until doubled. Punch down dough and divide in half. Let dough rest about 5 minutes.
4. Shape the dough into 2 small rounded oval loaves. Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon rosemary over the loaves and press lightly into the surface. Let loaves rise again until doubled, about 45 minutes. Grease a baking pan or sheet, and preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
5. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly browned. Carefully remove from oven, brush with remaining vegan margarine (and salt if desired).